Monday, October 09, 2006

Tall Stacks - Day 4

Over the Rhine
Old Crow Medicine Show
Wilco

Well, by the time my favourites played... I was Tall Stacked-out.
Over the Rhine put on a pretty amazing show. They invited a nice fella from the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. He added the mandolin, violin, and banjo. They also had a 3 piece horn section, a new drummer, and a familiar bass player. I'm guessing they're gonna use these extras on the new album, and I'm sure it will sound even more fantastic. I was very pleased how they took the opportunity to do something a little different with their set. There were quite a few folks there... probably a couple thousand.
It was great to see some folks I haven't seen in a while... Dan/Marg, Luke and Nichole(!), etc... even Casie came along for the show. Go her. As well as Tish, Zayne, Kimberly, Bill, Stiv and Amanda... I feel like I'm leaving someone out.
After their set I got some saratoga chips from the Montgomery Inn. Mmm Mmm Mmm. Their sauce is like heaven's barbeque. Anyhoo ...

Old Crow was just like usual. Very good. Although, with them and all those little instruments(fiddle/banjo/upright bass) I think it sounds better in a smaller venue. They had quite a turn-out. We were all the way in the back of the grassy knoll, so that could have made it not sound so great. As well as the guy standing beside us who kept saying "this sound sucks ass". No, really? It's a festival. The sound isn't supposed to good, jerk. *smile*
So, I was happy with the show... Bill, Zayne, and I skipped out at the very end to catch a coupla tunes from Medeski, Martin, and Wood. They're a jazz/funk/techno(?) kinda band. I can't listen to that sorta stuff for very long, it all starts to run together. So, then we ran back down to the other stage to catch...

Wilco. Now, that's a rock band. I've never seen them live. And apparently the lead singer's mother passed away previously in the week, but he said he had to play otherwise it would make her mad. Sad and crazy. He sure put on a good show.
By the time this show came around, I was exhausted. But alas, my dear friend Bruce showed up. And everything is always better with Bruce. He's so funny, he has so much energy! So, he sang along with most of the songs and we moved our hips a little and took some photos. It was a great show. I wish I knew the setlist. Great stuff. I love his voice.

Afterwards, Bill and I went to Arthur's(muh fav place) and got some warm food. Good times.

Tall Stacks was really great. I felt so blessed and enriched catching all that music. I'm pretty sure I heard some of the greatest music ever. I missed a coupla bands that I really wanted to see... Kim Taylor, Tift Merritt, and Rhett Miller. I'm sure they'll come around again.
There's talk of them doing the music portion of the event on a yearly basis. Woohoo!

Till next time...

p.s. this post is about 4 days too late. :) thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Di said...

I saw Wilco at a FREE show in the parking lot of the SIU Arena in Carbondale, Illinois, a couple of summers ago, and it was seriously one of THE BEST shows I've ever seen! I mean, they were wrapping up a tour and EVERYTHING, and they STILL played this show like it was The Most Important Date on their schedule.

: )

(LOVED that when you said you were "Tall-Stacked out"! Great terminology there!) ; )